15 Facts About Honeybees
Updated: 2 days ago
Did You Know?
1. The Queens bee lays up to 2500 eggs per day.
2. The hive relies on female worker bees to thrive, they are the ones who guard the hive, collect the pollen and make the honey.
3. Male bees only have one job which it to mate with a queen bee.
4. A honey bee will visit 50 to 100 flowers in a collection trip.
5. Honeybees have been producing honey in the same method for 150 million years.
6. A bees buzzing noise is made by its wings which beat 11,400 times per minute.
7. Honeybee never sleep.
8. A bee will only make a 1/2 teaspoon of honey in it entire life
9. A queen bees life expectancy is 3-5 years
10. A worker bees life span is 6 weeks
11. A bee colony consists of 20,000 - 60,000 honey bees and one queen.
12. Honeybees communicate with one another by dancing. This dance is called the "waggle dance".
13. A bee can fly for up to 10km and as fast as 25km an hour.
14. Honey bees must gather nectar from 2 million flowers to make 500g of honey
15. A bees brain is the size of a sesame seed.